Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ice Cream Sandwiches

It's ice cream season! Hooray! I love making homemade ice cream.

Here's the summer treat I did yesterday for my kids to snack from in the freezer. My daughter is in some sort of growth spurt kids go through at around 8 years of age and she is hungry all the time. My son's medication makes him hungry only in the evenings and boy is he hungry in the evenings!



I've made ice cream sandwiches with homemade cookies but I found that they break apart too easily. These are Chips Ahoy and they are an excellent alternative. The ice cream is homemade. I tried a new recipe for the ice cream and I learned that I don't care for condensed milk in my vanilla ice cream... I prefer my regular recipe passed down in my family through Great Aunt Florence from Waterloo, Iowa. Waterloo is in the area badly hit by the recent Iowa floods, so if you make this recipe, send those folks some good thoughts for strength in their crisis.

I use very fresh eggs and in all the years I've been making this ice cream, we've never had a problem with the raw eggs. I always give everyone fair warning about them in case anyone is pregnant and is being careful about those things. You can substitute pasteurized eggs or just leave out the eggs altogether. Additionally, this recipe is a very light milky version of ice cream with a much higher proportion of milk to cream.

Aunt Florence's Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes 2 quarts

Whisk together in a large bowl:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar

Add:
2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
5 cups milk (use whole, lowfat, or skim as you desire)
1/4 tsp salt

Stir together well and make as ice cream according to manufacturers instructions on your ice cream maker.

Enjoy! My favorite summer ice cream treat is hot fudge sundaes with bananas over cream puffs. Cream puffs are so incredibly easy to make you should try baking those too!

No comments: