Saturday, May 31, 2008

Katie Jump Rope Quilt Top

My internet connection is bad since we had a very blustery storm come through yesterday. It was chilly and March-like before the high winds and then warm, sunny and June-like afterward.
Quilt detail

I'm determined to share this today! Here's a detail of one of the quilt tops I finished in the last couple weeks. I was really gratified to see that the same fabric collection was on the cover of the latest Summer '08 issue of "Quilts and More"
Quilts and More Magazine

My husband knows just the right thing to say. Immediately he noted, "I like yours better." Have I told you how supportive he is? I think they used the little striped fabric more effectively than I did. I'm in a phase where I'm trying to just get sewing and not mull over everything so much so these ecclectic scrappy quilts are good for my mood right now.

P1010824

We probably won't use this on a bed in our house. I see it as retro-summery and perfect for using on our shady hammock. I wish it didn't cost so much to get batting and backing fabric and have the quilting out-sourced. I really want to use this blanket right away!

Here's a peek at my next project. The pattern is "Wild Thing" from the March/April '07 issue of Quiltmaker. I'm going to make 2 quilts with this pattern, one for my daughter and one for my mom who is redecorating her bedroom nook.

P1010826

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I think your hubby is right! I love yours!!!

Jenessa said...

love the quilt! i have some moda fabric i'm planning on doing this pattern with for a baby. on the whole batting - if you sign up for joann fabric's email you'll get emails on sales, i would guess at least 3x a year you have the opportunity to get a bolt of warm and natural for 1/2 off (sometimes with the bonus of free shipping). or you can usually get the same price in store if you have one near you. i learned this one from my mom and living overseas i did it right away (couldn't raid my mom's stash for smaller things!). just something i thought you might like to look into. :)

IamSusie said...

Jenessa- Coupons are awesome! I am signed up for the emails and the mail coupons from JoAnns. I just have to rescue the fliers before my husband casts them into the trash with the junk mail. Another tip is to go online to Hobby Lobby and print out their coupon which is accepted at JoAnns.

Lily Boot said...

it's bee-yoo-ti-ful susie! I love the fabric. I SO HEAR YOU about the batting and the backing and the QUILTING! Aaaaaargh!!!! Just think how marvellously productive we would be if when we finished piecing the quilt, it was finished. By golly! And extra points for being as cool as the cover of the magazine! :-)

Sarah and Jack said...

It's lovely!

Making your own quilts is crazy expensive, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

This quilt is just gorgeous! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Thats a very interesting post. I have been inspired. Thanks.

Free Web Directory said...

Thanks for this nice post.