Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dishcloth Swap

I stayed up really late the last 2 nights. The first night was because I couldn't tear myself away from watching Knocked Up, even though I've already seen it. Last night I stayed up sewing my Katie Jump Rope quilt. This morning my husband got both kids off to school and I slept until 10:00! Lucky Me! The down side is that I have to force myself to get back to a normal sleeping schedule because I am a night person and it is really easy for me to keep vampire hours.

I'm finished with my dishcloth swap on Craftster. My partner, ashestoashes, sent me a gorgeous set of blue and green washcloths for my kitchen. Aren't they nice?
Dishcloth Swap
Here's a closeup of her beautiful knitting:
Green and Blue Dishcloths

I like knitting and knitting is the craft that got me hooked up to all the online crafting community in the first place. When I was teaching myself about 2.5 years ago, I went online to find some tutorials and simple patterns. I found all the forums and knitting was only the beginning of the inspiration I found online. It turns out, that I don't have the soul of a knitter, I prefer crochet and other needlework. Nothing is really quite like a knit dishcloth, however. I like crochet for the scrubbies and for potholders, but for the actual cloths, the suppleness of knitting is better.

Here's what I made for her. Her bathroom is blue, tan, and brown so I used those colors for this set of towels in the ballband pattern.
P1010709P1010713
Knitting this pattern is surprisingly easy. I memorized it really quickly and now I want to make many more of them. The little scrubbies are crochet. I made a few for us to test drive to see if cotton scrubbers are actually useful or better as decoration. My daughter likes them in the bath.

Today I hope to get my quilt top done. I have to clear out the messy areas because our cleaning service is coming tomorrow. Our house is neat after they do their thing for about one evening and then the stuff migrates back out again. We really need just one more good work area in our house and some better storage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has nothing to do with knitting, but I thought you might find this news story interesting: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/20/hello.kitty.ap/index.html

Maybe you can create a craft project in her honor?

Rob

IamSusie said...

Rob- I didn't even have to click and I knew what news story you were referring to. I like how they called her "Japan's ubiquitous ambassador of cute".

You wouldn't believe how many people send me emails to get Hello Kitty crochet patterns. Do you and Julie want some Hello Kitty Coasters? I'll make some for you!

Lily Boot said...

Nice! I too love the idea of knitting but have neither the skill nor the stamina to finish anything properly - but washcloths - they are perfect! You get your knitting fix and it's cheap and you get to use lots of interesting stitiches and it's done before you know it! You've gone to such effort with your giveaway - lucky recipient!