Friday, September 21, 2007

Purse Applique

I made myself a new purse after finally doing a little bit o stash building at my Local Quilt Shop. I love 30's and 40's vintage prints so I had them cut me some fat quarters.
Felt Peach Applique

Here is a progress pic of that purse. It is quite bright. The pattern is in a Japanese book
ISBN4834755371:
Purse in Progress

I was going to use red instead of orange on the peach, but it just didn't look right so I switched to orange and it came together. I have actually finished the purse and have been carrying it around, but I do need to take a final photo of it.

Here's what I made with some of the rest of that vintage style stash building fabrics:
2007 09 13 003_edited-1
Tissue paper holders! I even had my 7 year old daughter make one for herself. Hers is with a cute purple fabric. She did a great job, but only wanted the machine to move at a snail's pace. I did the ironing for her...

You can find the free pattern HERE. The only extra thing I did was make them boxy by doing that extra gusset on the edges. Click HERE for a good tutorial on square gussets. The bottoms of my little embroidered pouches also have the same square bottoms.

4 comments:

donna said...

Thanks for the link for the tissue holder. These R 2 cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the felt pear appliqué and will have to try the tissue holder. Thanks

Veronica Aldous said...

please could you tell me what range are the lovely 1930's print fabrics you use and who makes them?
I am in the UK- I love your gorgeous blog.

IamSusie said...

Thanks, Veronica. I found these prints last year at my local quilt shop. I really should keep better records! I like to go for the sorts of prints that are usually categorized as "1930's and 40's" or "Feedsack reproduction". As for color ranges, I just get what speaks to me from what is available and as you can see, I go for funky, less matchy combinations

Moda has a line called "American Jane" which has a vintage feel.

There is another line of fabric from Marcus Fabrics called "Aunt Grace" which also is this vintage in style.
http://www.marcusfabrics.com/cgi-bin/fabricgallery/gallery.cgi?Category=417

My internet is spotty right now, but I bet Hoffman Fabrics also has a vintage line of this sort too. Good luck!